Memorial Day-a day set aside in most states of the U.S. for observances in memory of dead members of the armed forces of all wars.

What did you do on Memorial Day? I drove home for 9 hours from Memphis, and the entire day, I did not think a second about the brave men and women who fought for our country and have since passed away. The thought didn't really cross my mind. I was more concerned with how much longer it was going to be before we were home. I know a lot of people used that day as a time to go out and lay by the pool and drink. Some just sat at home and watched TV. Some traveled. But how many of us really sat down and said a prayer for the friends and family of those who had passed? How many of us thought about the widows and their children or the fiances who no longer have that chance of marrying their one true love? How many of us sent up a prayer and thanked God for making men and women that are willing to risk their lives for our freedom? .....not me.

Until two days after memorial day, I did not think about any of this. Then I got these pictures in my email from my mom. I just sat there for a while and looked at them. These are pictures of my grandma and my family visiting my grandpa's grave at the national cemetery here in TX. While we, as a family, do not believe that he is still there, it made me realize how important it is to pay tribute to these men and women. He fought in WWII (He bombed Germany and Japan) and The Korean War. He risked his life on numerous accounts so that we could be a free country. He was in the air force for most of his life, ready to protect us and our families.

I know its not Memorial Day anymore, but these pictures reminded me of how important it is to thank God for our freedom and the men and women who helped us get that freedom and are still fighting to keep it.
3 comments:
That's really cool. I really enjoyed reading this post...we take so much for granted! I loved the pictures! :)
PW= www.thepioneerwoman.com
check it out - you will LOVE her!
Oh, girl, I meant to thank you for making the b-day night possible! You were SO sweet to babysit so we could go to Campisi's! YOU ROCK!!! :) I know it was just torture, too... ;)
Post a Comment