Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Grateful

John and I have been reading Exodus. I have to admit, at first I was not a fan at all. It has been hard for me to "get into" the Old Testament. I know that He is the same God as the God of the New Testament, but He seems so harsh in the OT. I had been thinking this every chapter I read, when it finally hit me... (Thank you Lord for dealing with me until I kind of got it) The Old Testament makes me sooo grateful for Jesus! Reading about all of the rules they had to follow and the precise way that they had to make the temple and the different clothes that Aaron had to wear inside to make sure God's wrath didnt kill him, and the exact kind of sacrifices they had to make, makes me sooo grateful for Jesus. Once I really started trying to understand (which I never truly will...another reason Im grateful for God and Jesus) I saw how much God put up with the people of the OT. Its like they screwed up again and again and again. I was sitting there judging them, when I realized that that is exactly how I am, except I was blessed enough to be born after Jesus came and died for me. I guess I never would have thought that the OT would make me so grateful for Jesus. I'm so glad that I started reading it before Easter. It gives me a deeper and more meaningful gratitude of God sending his Son and to Jesus for dying for me. Thank you Lord that we cant do it on our own. Thank you Lord for sending your son to satisfy your wrath. Thank you Jesus for laying down your life for us. Thank you for coming into Jerusalem even though you knew what was going to happen to you. Thank you Holy Spirit for working in me as I read the OT.

1 comment:

Jennifer Hanson said...

Amen Amen!

I've been reading a lot more of the OT lately as well and "not liking" the wrath I see, but am (like you) beginning to realize that this same intense, frightening, righteous wrath of God we see in the OT is exactly the same wrath that the Cross shield us from. Wow.